Austin Dog Bite Lawyer
Man’s best friend provides companionship and unconditional love to thousands of pet owners all over Texas. Dogs come in all shapes, sizes, and breeds. However, because dogs can behave unpredictably at times, it’s important for dog owners to keep their dogs under control.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are about 4.5 million dog bites reported in the United States every year, with children being the most vulnerable. While some breeds seem to be more commonly involved than others, the truth is that any breed could be raised to be dangerous by an irresponsible owner.
- It’s important for anyone who has been attacked and bitten by a dog to contact an Austin dog bite lawyer from Colley & Colley, LLP. We can help you understand your legal rights and seek compensation for your damages.
Who Is Most Vulnerable to a Dog Attack?
Nobody is immune to potentially being the victim of a dog attack. Children ages five through nine are attacked more often than any other age group, and men are bitten more often than women.
If attacked, the elderly and children can easily suffer the most serious of injuries as they are less able to protect themselves. An Austin dog bite lawyer from our firm can help if you or a family member suffered an injury from a dog attack.
Dog Bites Cause Serious Injuries
Being attacked by a dog can cause not only serious injuries, but it can also be fatal. There were thirty-five deaths in 2015 related to dog bite injuries in the United States, with Texas having the highest rate of fatalities.
Dogs of all breeds can unexpectedly bite for many different reasons, and children are the most vulnerable. However, the strength and power of a large dog can overcome any of us.
Many of the injuries dog bites cause are listed below:
- Cuts, lacerations, and puncture wounds
- Damage to nerves and muscle tissue
- Scarring and permanent disfigurement
- Amputation and broken bones
- Emotional trauma
- Transferring rabies and other diseases
It’s important to seek medical attention after a dog bite as infections and rabies should be ruled out. Many injuries may require surgery to repair damaged nerves and muscle tissue or to reconstruct the injured area—expenses you shouldn’t have to pay for.
Dog Bites and Texas Law
Your Austin dog bite lawyer will investigate your case and identify if you can file a personal injury claim against the dog owner. When it comes to dog bites, Texas is a “one bite rule” state.
To recover damages, the victim of a dog bite must prove one of two things, which we can help you collect evidence for:
- That the owner of the dog knew that the animal had previously bitten someone or has behaved aggressively in the past
- That the owner of the dog was negligent in not controlling or preventing the dog from biting
Texas Personal Injury Statute of Limitations
After suffering an injury in a dog attack, it’s important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible. Texas state law provides just two years in which you can file a claim seeking financial compensation. If you exceed this time limit by waiting too long, you can lose your opportunity to receive a financial award.
Another reason that you don’t want to wait is that the longer you do so, the harder it becomes to collect the evidence and witness testimony that will be needed to prove your case. So if you’ve been hurt by someone else’s dangerous canine, get in touch with an Austin dog attack lawyer today.
Retain an Austin Dog Bite Lawyer
Many victims of dog bites do not realize that they can recover damages for their injuries. An Austin dog bite lawyer from Colley & Colley, LLP is here to help if you or a family member has suffered an injury in a dog attack.
Along with the pain and mental trauma dog bites can cause, injuries can cause financial repercussions as well. At our firm, we have the experience and dedication necessary to recover the compensation you deserve.
We have successfully represented dog bite victims from all over Texas. Call us at 1-877-411-2001 to set up a free consultation today. If you aren’t available to talk right now, you can contact us online through the form at the bottom of this page.