Austin Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Millions of Americans and thousands of Texans live in nursing home facilities hoping for the best possible care. While many nursing home facilities do a great job of taking care of their residents, there are some that neglect and abuse them.
If you have a family member that has been a victim of nursing home neglect, an Austin nursing home abuse lawyer from Colley & Colley, LLP can help you protect the rights of your elderly family member.
Nursing Homes Can Be Held Liable
According to the National Center on Elder Abuse, 36 percent of America’s nursing homes have violated elder abuse laws. Putting profits before patients, most abuse in nursing homes is a result of poor employee training, understaffing, or unqualified staff members.
In order for a nursing home and its employees to be held liable for abuse or neglect, it must first be proven that they acted negligently. An experienced Austin nursing home abuse lawyer can investigate and determine if you have a case to proceed with.
Causes of Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
You can file a nursing home abuse claim under any of these circumstances:
- Negligent Hiring of Staff – Nursing homes are obligated to hire qualified personnel who have no record of violence or abuse. If a nursing home hires staff without conducting background checks, residents can be put at risk.
- Not Fully Staffed – When a nursing home does not hire enough staff, residents can be neglected. A resident could easily suffer an injury or die as a result of not having an adequate number of caretakers available.
- Poorly Trained Employees – Sometimes nursing homes do not provide their employees with the training necessary to deal with disabled or noncompliant residents, resulting in inadequate care and altercations that could lead to injuries.
- Third Party Abuse – Nursing homes have a duty to provide a safe environment for their residents and can be held liable for any abuse caused by third parties within the facility, such as a guest or a delivery person.
There Are Many Examples of Elder Abuse
Families rely on nursing homes to take care of their loved ones; however, many elders across the country are abused, neglected, or taken advantage of in many different ways:
- Not adequately monitoring residents
- Neglecting proper nutrition
- Neglecting medical care and prescription maintenance
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Verbal and emotional abuse
- Financial crimes, such as theft, forgery, and use of an elder’s assets without permission
Damages for Nursing Home Abuse
If it can be proven that a nursing home or its employees have acted negligently, they may be held liable for any resulting damages. Damages available in a nursing home abuse lawsuit may include any of the following items:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
An Austin Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Can Help Your Family
If a loved one has suffered abuse as the result of a nursing home’s negligence, an Austin nursing home abuse lawyer from Colley & Colley, LLP will help you seek just compensation for your loved one. Our goal is not only to recover damages, but also to prevent other nursing homes from engaging in similar conduct.
Our experience, compassion, and dedication will protect the rights of your elderly family member. To speak with an Austin nursing home neglect lawyer during a free, no-obligation consultation, simply call 1-877-411-2001 or contact us through our online form below.