Killeen Personal Injury Lawyer
You need justice and financial compensation after you’ve been injured. A Killeen injury lawyer can help you get both.
When someone else’s negligence causes an accident that seriously injures you, that person needs to compensate you for your expenses and damages. But obtaining a fair amount in negotiations or court can be extremely difficult if you don’t get the right Killeen personal injury lawyer in your corner.
At the Colley Firm, P.C., we work with you to explain all the options and how we plan to get the most out of the at-fault parties to protect your financial security.
Personal Injury Categories
You might experience a catastrophic injury in any of several types of accidents, all of which deserve a close investigation.
To file a personal injury claim, we must identify the at-fault party or parties, and to do that, we have to determine the cause of your accident. The cause of the accident can indicate who is responsible, whether it’s a product manufacturer or an intoxicated on-call surgeon.
Injuries can result from any of the following types of accidents:
- Motor Vehicle Crashes – Vehicle accidents often cause the most severe injuries and may be the result of drunk, drugged, drowsy, or distracted drivers, malfunctioning equipment, or hazardous road conditions. This category may include accidents involving cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
- Work Accidents – Workplace injuries are sometimes complicated because workers compensation may initially seem to be the only way to get the help you need. But if a party other than your employer is partially or wholly responsible, that can open the door to a personal injury claim.
- Medical Malpractice – This is a tough one to deal with because of the trust we all put in our doctors’ hands, but holding a drunk doctor or careless hospital accountable is important for both your financial wellbeing and protecting every patient that comes after you.
- Product Liability – This category covers design flaws, manufacturing errors, and marketing and instructional mistakes that result in consumer injuries, such as a teapot that burns you when you hold the handle properly or a heater that starts a fire.
- Premises Liability – Dangerously accessible swimming pools that are hazardous to neighborhood children, dog bites, and slipping on spilled liquid in the grocery store or ice outside someone’s house can all lead to premises liability claims against a Killeen property owner.
The Tactics of the Other Side
Insurance companies and the defendants’ lawyers will do everything they can to push fault away from their client. They will also try to place as much blame as possible on your shoulders to minimize the cost of the benefits they owe you.
This is due to Texas’ proportionate responsibility policy, which allows you to make a claim even if you are found to be as much as 49 percent at fault for the accident that injured you.
The downside, and the reason the defense tries to pile blame on the victim, is that your compensation will be reduced by the same percentage of fault you're deemed to bear. If you’re awarded $1 million but are 10 percent at fault, then you will only get $900,000 of your compensation.
This can seriously affect your financial stability during and after your recovery. That’s why it’s important to have a Killeen accident injury lawyer on your side.
Call a Killeen Personal Injury Attorney
If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you need to hold the at-fault party or parties accountable and get the compensation you deserve. Our team at the Colley Firm, P.C. can provide you with the legal representation you need to make that happen.
Call us at 1-877-411-2001 or enter your contact information in the form below to schedule a free consultation with a Killeen personal injury lawyer.