Austin Personal Injury Lawyer
When the compensation you need is on the line, you deserve qualified and experienced legal representation. Work with an Austin injury lawyer.
Many types of accidents can cause serious injuries, and if you don’t fight the insurance companies and negligent parties, you might be left paying for all of your damages on your own. If the accident wasn’t your fault, or at least mostly wasn’t, you may need to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault parties.
To win an injury claim like this, you may need an Austin personal injury lawyer who will stick by your side and help you navigate settlement negotiations and represent you in court, if necessary.
Our team at the Colley Firm, PC will work hard and treat you like family so you can be confident in the outcome of your claim and recover without stress over your family’s finances.
Personal Injury Cases and What Causes Them
There are several classifications of personal injury lawsuits, each with its own particular challenges. For each category, we need to determine the cause of the accident because that will help identify the at-fault party or parties.
The main types of personal injury claims include the following:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – These accidents can include cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles. They can be caused by distracted, drowsy, drunk, or drugged drivers, mechanical and part failures, road hazards, poor signage, difficult-to-see lane markers, and even construction equipment in the road.
- Product Liability – This category covers accidents involving products that harm someone despite being used properly or according to the instructions. Product malfunctions may be due to design, manufacturing, and marketing defects, each of which may involve a different at-fault party.
- Premises Liability – Premises liability covers accidents on other people’s property, including, slip-and-fall accidents, dog bites, and unsecured safety hazards like pools or dangerous equipment. Property owners are usually to blame for accidents that injure others on their property.
- Construction and Work Accidents – These are often confined to the workers compensation system, but when a third party other than your employer is at fault, we may be able to press a personal injury claim for different and more comprehensive damages.
- Medical Malpractice – Medical negligence claims can be difficult because of the many factors you agree to when signing approval forms, but when a doctor or other healthcare professional injures you because of negligent or reckless actions, we can help you pursue fair compensation for your suffering.
The above injury case types often overlap, such as when a part fails and causes a motor vehicle accident. A qualified personal injury lawyer in Austin can help you sort through the details of your case to build the strongest claim possible.
Who Holds the Blame?
Once we find the cause or causes of your accident, we can then identify who is to blame. Without an at-fault party, we have no one to hold financially accountable in court, so this portion of the process is crucial.
Similar to types of Austin personal injury claims, more than one person or entity may be at fault. We’ll find all the responsible parties through our investigation into the accident to not only hold them accountable but also to maximize your potential compensation.
Negligent parties you may be able to name in your claim could include the following:
- Landowners and landlords
- Mechanics and maintenance personnel
- Government agencies
- Construction companies
- Safety inspectors
Injuries and Consequences
The injuries you suffered in your accident can vary greatly, depending on the type of accident and your luck. You may endure trauma to multiple parts of your body, including the following:
- Head and Face – Injuries to the head and face can result in traumatic brain injuries and sensory damage like blindness, hearing loss, and speech problems. Facial damage may also require extensive reconstructive surgeries.
- Neck, Back, and Spine – Back injuries can cause damage to your spinal cord, leading to paralysis or untreatable chronic nerve damage that causes pain, numbness, or immobility.
- Internal Organs – Organ damage may cause severe bleeding and require organ transplants and a lifetime of medications.
You could also suffer the following:
- Broken bones, causing a limp, disfigurement, and possibly amputations
- Amputations, including limbs lost in the accident or after due to medical necessity
- Severe burns from a burning vehicle, an exploding grill, electrocution, or scalding liquids, all of which may cause disfigurement and require skin grafts
Your medical costs are not the only expense you need to expect. You’ll also have to deal with missing work and the harder-to-define emotional trauma involved.
We’ll collaborate with your doctors and therapists to determine the extent of your injuries and the duration of time they for which may affect you and your family. Unfortunately, you may face some of your injuries for the rest of your life.
Depending on the unique factors present in your Austin personal injury case, we may advise that you demand compensation for the following:
- Medical costs, including operations, ambulance rides, and inpatient and outpatient care
- Wage loss due to recovery time and any reduced ability to work the same job or same number of hours
- Disability accommodations to your car, home, and workplace, such as stair lifts and disability-accessible vehicles
- Pain and suffering experienced during the accident and in immediate treatment and recovery
- Emotional distress due to the changes in your daily life and reductions in your ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium, companionship, and care, which covers dwindling ability to contribute to and participate in your family, personal, or professional relationships
- Property damage to your car, phone, or other objects
- Wrongful death, cases for which have their own set of rules and damages in Texas
The laws dictating how to file a personal injury claim in Austin can cover time limits, compensation reductions, and protected groups like emergency response teams and government agencies.
The following are some important legal concepts you should know as you pursue compensation:
- Statute of Limitations – In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years, which means we must act somewhat quickly. From the date of your accident, you have only two years to compile evidence, complete paperwork, and file your claim. An Austin accident injury lawyer can make sure your deadlines are met.
- Proportionate Responsibility – This is a Texas law that allows an injured person to still file a personal injury lawsuit even if he or she holds some of the blame for what happened, as long as he or she is less than 50 percent at fault. However, this also reduces the compensation the injured person can be awarded. For instance, if you’re awarded $1 million but are found to be 10 percent at fault, then you will only receive $900,000 in compensation. This can be the difference between recovering without worrying about bills and having to return to work early simply to financially survive.
Work with an Austin Personal Injury Attorney
No matter how minor or serious your injuries are, you deserve to recover without the stresses of financial trouble. You shouldn’t be left to pay the bills if the accident wasn’t your fault, and a qualified lawyer can help you obtain compensation from the negligent party for the damages you have suffered.
Your Austin personal injury lawyer at the Colley Firm, PC will treat you with care and respect while we negotiate and hold the negligent party accountable. Call us at 1-877-411-2001 or fill out the form below to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today.